How blessed we are to have friends who lift us up, who speak truth to us, who listen, give advice, encouragement and their constant prayers. This is richness; this is true treasure to have such wonderful women in your life.




Thursday, September 22, 2011

Covenant Week Two

Hello, dear sisters of mine:)
 I have a question for you...Have you ever had the opportunity to watch a white heron hunt for his meal?  God knows how much I LOVE that kind of thing, so He had a regular dining extravaganza going on in the wetlands next to my sister's home in Nevada this past weekend.  My sister, Joni, has a pair of binoculars right next to the window that looks out onto the wetlands, and I am drawn irresistably to the binoculars and that window.  I will stand and gaze out the window so long that circular indentations are pressed into the  eye sockets on my face!  For one half hour I wear a semi-permanent pair of Harry Potter eyeglasses!  I watched a gray fox and a hawk hunt very successfully for their breakfasts one morning, but the ones who really grabbed my attention were the half a dozen white herons who call those particular wetlands home. 

They really are not the most beautiful or graceful birds on the planet (take a good look at those skinny legs and knobby knees), but I can say this...they are patient and deliberate, tenacious and very successful.  There must be some small fish or frog that the white herons particularly like because they hunt, walking through the swampy water ALL DAY LONG!  As soon as a tasty morsel is spotted, they come to a stop and stand completely still for...no kidding...minutes on end.  They slowly cock their heads to get a better view, and they focus all their attention on the target.  Every movement after this is very deliberate.  One skinny long leg at a time is lifted in miniscule movements to draw themselves closer, they coil their necks back and then BAM! out shoots that pointy beak into the water and the feast begins. 

I got to thinking about the Kay Arthur Covenant Bible study we're in the midst of at that moment.  It really is a lot like a white heron hunting for his next meal.  You have to be focused...deliberate...patient.  You have to WANT to "eat" the Bread of Life so much that you are willing to spend the effort it takes to be fed.  The result of all that hard work is every bit as satisfying and rewarding:)  I have a feeling that we will be having many of those moments when all of a sudden our focus becomes clear and we really "see" the truth of God's Word in all its gloriousness.  I am already finding the symbolism of covenant fascinating and cannot wait until I sit with the Word in my lap, colored pencils scattered around me to find the next feast the Lord has for me. 

I pray that you have the tenaciousness, the focus, the patience, and the perseverance of my long-legged, knock-kneed friend you see here:)   Have a blessed and successful week of hunting in the Word! 

Love to you...Cherri


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE leave your comment!!! We need to hear from you!!!!