How blessed we are to have friends who lift us up, who speak truth to us, who listen, give advice, encouragement and their constant prayers. This is richness; this is true treasure to have such wonderful women in your life.




Friday, June 29, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey, Magic Mike and The Horse Whisperer

Last year I began reading a novel I found in a box of books given to my mom.  The book was The Horse Whisperer.  I did not know much about the book except that Robert Redford had played the lead in the movie (I had such a crush on Robert in the 70s:), and that the movie was based on Buck Brannaman, the subject of the documentary movie "Buck," which I had viewed and found interesting.  Though I had never watched the theatrical movie, I was drawn to the book because of "Buck," and so I began to read.  Here's the main plot:  A young girl has been in a horrific accident while riding her horse.  Her mother and father are trying to find a way to get her some healing both physically and emotionally.  The horse she was riding is also traumatized by the accident and seems beyond help.  Mom feels if she can get help for the horse and get her daughter riding, all will be well.  Enter the "Horse Whisperer" a handsome, no nonsense cowboy, who has the ability to "heal" just about any horse.  So mother, daughter and crazy horse all end up at the "Horse Whisperer's" Ranch.

I was immediately drawn into the opening drama and found myself looking forward to the evening when I could sit down and dive into the novel.  The two main characters were the seemingly happily married mother of the girl and, of course, the "Horse Whisperer."  As I read on, there were a couple of risqué moments I encountered but thought I was a "big girl" now and could handle those scenes.  Then one moment while reading I was appalled at my own inner thoughts.  I found myself hoping...really hoping as I turned the page that the main characters would finally have time alone so they could be "together"...if you understand my drift.  

I literally dropped the book into my lap.  When had my thinking gone so far from who I really was and what I truly believed?  I honestly could not remember the moment.  But it had.  Along the way...in the pages of the book, I had been manipulated to feel what the author wanted me to feel.  Honestly, as an English teacher, I can tell you that is exactly what an author wants...you to feel what they are feeling...you to be swayed by their words.  Incredible power.  But power that can be used for good or for evil.  Evil.  That is a loaded word isn't it?  Evil.  We can be manipulated to think evil.  I was.  There was nothing good about wanting to really, when you honestly think about it, participate in an adulterous affair.  I was an onlooker.  This affair had an audience and everyone was rooting for its consummation...even me.  

I had to throw the book a way.  The temptation it had on me to "find out what happened" was too great to take the risk.  I felt that the Holy Spirit in me had given me the chance to make a better choice and, Girls, I am so tired of living a half-hearted, kind of obedient, sort of close, sometimes passionate life for Him.  He deserves more from me and truly I deserve more than what this world and its ruler want to give.  

Alrighty then...let's talk about the most recent "Horse Whisperers" out there in media land...the novel Fifty Shades of Grey and the movie Magic Mike.  I read the synopsis of the book a couple of weeks ago after seeing it mentioned over and over by the ladies on my Facebook page.  Girls, I am trying to figure out how in the world you can make anything edifying or decent out of the sexual deviancy described in just the few paragraphs I read:  This novel "...is notable for its explicitly erotic scenes involving BDSM."  And "Magic Mike," you can't miss what that is all about because they have played scenes over and over on the TV...male strippers.  Women who would never be involved with sexual bondage, sadism, domination, or the world of male strippers are being pulled in the same way I was pulled into the world of adulterous affairs...we are being cunningly manipulated.  Here is the scary part...and this was written by a reviewer:  "Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever." 

It is true...God has given us these incredible minds that have the ability to store images, whether seen with our imaginations or with our eyes...once in...there they are...like it or not.  It seems this reviewer knows this as well.  Although there is one truth he does not know...Our Savior redeems...EVERYTHING.  No matter what!  So some things do not have to "stay with you forever."  Can I just shout HALLELUJAH on this page for that?!!:)  

It all comes down to well-loved verses from Philippians:  "Finally, [sisters], whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--If anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."  Philippians 4:8

Love you dearly,

Cherri









3 comments:

  1. So aptly spoken my friend. Thank you,.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, 50 shades was written with the "Twilight" market/demographic in mind. Make of that what you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls told me something about that, Jo. They mentioned that a middle-aged woman fan wrote the story on a "Twilight" blog. It is just bizarre how quickly these books have become popular even with Christian women. My sister told me she was watching the Dr. Oz show and Dr. Oz mentioned how great these books have been for women's sexuality!?! Huh?

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your comment!!! We need to hear from you!!!!